Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Reasons New Shoes Can Cause Shin Splints



I recently bought a new pair of shoes. My last pair were Scott eRide Trainer 2's. Loved them. They were cute and really a great shoe. I went to the same store to get new shoes but we walked out without shoes for a few reasons. I tried on more Scott's and fell in love. But $130 for shoes is hard to swallow. $100 is sort of my max. I feel like I should be able to get a great pair of shoes for $100 or less.

I ended up with Brooks Ghost 5's. They just aren't the same as my Scott's. I started to get shin splints. So, I hit up Google. Why are my new shoes causing shin splints? Here are the reasons I came up with:


  1. Maybe my new shoes are actually too awesome! I learned that along with increasing distance too fast, increasing speed can also cause shin pain. Well let me tell you about this new problem I have with running 10 minute miles the first two miles when I am normally at about an 11:30 mile pace. I really want to get faster, but getting faster needs to be strategic. I haven't been running consistently long enough to push my speed. I slowed down and so did my pain.
  2. Maybe my feet don't like new shoes. A lot of people seem to solve their problems with new shoes. My search on problems with Ghost 5's came with results of why getting the new Brooks Ghost 5's solved their problems. My last shoes gave me blisters and took way too long to break in. It might be my high arches make it difficult to wear a stiffer new shoe. But, I need to understand that my feet just aren't happy with new shoes.
  3. Maybe I bought new running shoes because I am taking running to the next level and the problems are a coincidence. I never stopped after a mile or two to stretch out my anterior tibialis and calf muscles because I never ran more than 3 miles anyway. But now my runs range from 3.5 to 7+ miles. The first 2 miles are the warm-up. My legs need a bit of a stretch and get ready for the real run. I am seeing new challenges and needing to figure a lot out. It might be the shoes or it might be all of this running I am doing.
I have logged a little over 20 miles on my shoes so far and with each run things get better. I still have some different aches and pains and I still long to have my Scott eRides again. But the Brooks will be good shoes once I adjust to them accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment