Running a 5k is hard!
Phew, it is out there. Because I am training for a half marathon now. After 2 or 3 years of trying to run 3 whole miles without stopping to walk, I did it. And then I said I want to go farther. So, of course, I started training for farther. So far I have gotten up to 7 miles with a goal in 12 weeks to hit that 13.1 miles.
I run 3-4 miles twice a week and then a long run on the weekend. Every time that 3-4 miles is difficult. Here is the 6 mile breakdown:
- Miles 1 and 2 are the worst. I am not joking here. They are really the most difficult. I might even give in and have a gel.
- Miles 3 and 4 are painful. My heart rate is stabilized and my breathing is more even so that helps but my calves are still warming up, my hips are just loosening, and my feet are still trying to understand what is going on.
- Miles 5+ I can just keep going. Maybe that runners high thing kicks in. As long as I am properly hydrated and have some nutrition to keep me going, I can keep going. The pain doesn't get any worse and my body finds it's groove.
So, are you struggling to run that 5k and don't understand how other runners are doing marathons? Truth is that it is probably just as difficult for them as it is for you. Maybe not as much if they have been doing it for a long time. But I believe the real difference is just the personal education that comes with training over a period of time. Some things you get to learn about yourself over run training sessions:
- What are your nutrition and hydration needs?
- What is your pace ability?
- How long does your body need to warm up?
- What is your pain threshold? At what point does it not get worse?
- What is your heart rate threshold?
These questions have been so helpful to me. To know that I can keep running because the pain won't get any worse, it will be painful because running is hard but that is ok. But now I know what is normal pain and what isn't normal pain. To know that I still should stop and walk or slow down if my heart rate is much above 160. To know that I might need more nutrition than others do has been freeing. To know that I am slow and I can either focus on speed or distance but not both.
My goal is to encourage you to go for it. If you feel like you can't even do that 5k or you just can't get past that distance, you can. Give yourself time and training. Get some gadgets and some gels if you want to. Find out what works and what doesn't. Keep trying.
That day that I ran the whole 3 miles without stopping...I will never forget that day. I am not ashamed of being proud of that day either. It was a big deal. Now I run at least that far several times a week. But that is now, a year later. It took me 2 or 3 years to run 3 miles. Now I can increase my distance as much as is allowed without causing injury. And I am excited for the half marathon finish line. It is a big change from last year.
No comments:
Post a Comment